Eating for Your Sight: Five Foods for Healthy Eyes
We’ve all heard the old saying “you are what you eat.” But what you might not know is that the foods we consume affect all areas of our bodies, even our eyes. The health experts at Envolve, an integrated healthcare company, are pleased to share five delicious tips on how small changes in your diet can promote healthy eyes.
- Eat the Rainbow (of Veggies). For good vision, consumption of vitamin A is essential. You can find this important vitamin in brightly colored vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, corn, bell peppers and tomatoes. Vitamin A contains carotenoids, which are thought to lower the risk of several eye diseases and help prevent night blindness.
- Go Green. Vegetables like spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and kale are dark greens that contain the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin. According to various studies, when consumed in large amounts, those two antioxidants can lower the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Look to the Ocean. Fatty fish, including salmon, sardines, mackerel, tuna and herring, is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids support cell membranes, which help protect retinas and slow down cataracts and macular degeneration. Not a fan of fish or seafood? Incorporate fish oil supplement capsules into your diet to still reap the benefits of omega-3.
- Eat Something Berry Yummy. To reduce the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts, considering eating more oranges, lemons, berries and grapefruit. Citrus fruits and berries have high quantities of vitamin C, which is linked to healthier blood vessels, including those in eyes.
- Have a Sunny Side (Up). Celebrate brunch by cracking open some eggs for lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamin A and zinc, which reduce the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts. The vitamin A can also provide protection against dry eyes and night blindness.
About Envolve, Inc.®
Envolve, Inc.® is a family of health solutions, working together to make healthcare simpler, more effective and more accessible for everyone. As an agent for change in healthcare, Envolve is committed to transforming the health of the community, one person at a time. Envolve unifies specialty pharmacy, PBM, vision, dental, 24/7 nurse advice services, diabetes management, MSO solutions, and more. For more information, please visit our website www.envolvehealth.com or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.