Engaging in activities that raise your heart rate burns calories, improves circulation, and lowers your blood pressure. There are a number of at-home activities that can get your heart pumping and help keep you active and healthy. To help you get moving at home, the health experts at Envolve, an integrated healthcare solutions company, have put together five house and yard work activities that can improve your health.
1. Go For Gardening. Tending to a garden is a great way to enhance your overall health and get outdoors. Thirty minutes of moderate-intensity weeding, mulching, hoeing, or harvesting can help you meet the level of recommended daily exercise. Spending time surrounded by plants and green space is also a therapeutic way to reduce stress and anxiety. Plus, the extra time spent in the sun can increase vitamin D levels improving your mood and keeping your immune system strong.
2. Complete Chores. Sweeping, mopping, or vacuuming the floor is also a productive way to get off the couch and get moving. With the potential to burn more than 200 calories per hour, these chores help you get your steps in and tidy up at the same time. Even scrubbing the bathroom or washing the windows are great ways to shed calories, plus you might tone your arm muscles, as well. Car looking a little dingy? Try scrubbing it by hand to turn your chore into a workout.
3. Wrap Up Yard Work. Manicuring your lawn includes many high-intensity actions that can help you lose almost as many calories as you would at the gym. Digging and raking can really work up a sweat. In addition, mowing your lawn using a push mower builds cardiovascular endurance that can help reduce blood pressure.
4. Perform Upgrades. An elevated heart rate burns calories, so pull out plans for your next home improvement project and do-it-yourself. Activities like painting a room, tiling a floor, or staining a fence can get your heart pumping. These projects won’t take the place of a full workout, but they are still beneficial to your health. Plus, when you’re done you will be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
5. Participate in Play. Playing with your kids or pets is a great way to burn calories. Try enjoying a game of tag or catch in the backyard, and you all will get the heart-healthy benefits of the activity and the added advantage of being in the fresh air. A game of fetch with your dog is an aerobic exercise for both of you and can boost your health and your mood.
About Envolve, Inc.®
Envolve, Inc.® is a family of health solutions, working together to make healthcare simpler, more effective and more accessible for everyone. As an agent for change in healthcare, Envolve is committed to transforming the health of the community, one person at a time. Envolve unifies specialty pharmacy, PBM, vision, dental, 24/7 nurse advice services, MSO solutions, and more. For more information, please visit our website www.envolvehealth.com or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.